When did you start piano lessons ?
Many people will tell you that they were introduced to piano lessons as kids. Their parents might have had an interest in music and enrolled them either in their school music program or with a private tutor. Many kids enjoy being able to play the piano but may discontinue for a variety of reasons:
- They become bored with the amount of hours of practice that they need
- They find new interests such as sports or advanced school studies
- They are not encouraged to stick to the program
- They do not enjoy the music that they are able to play
- They are never able to play what they truly love
- Their family moved to another city and they were not able to find a new tutor
Are you still interested ?
There are so many people who regret not having continued being involved with piano playing, but whatever your age or occupation, it is still not too late. Interestingly, these days there are many ways someone can get involved and make the activity an ongoing hobby. You do not have to see yourself as a professional, a concert pianist, or prepare for music exams in order to satisfy your interest.
How can you still have piano as a hobby?
First of all, you would need to refresh your knowledge of piano and upgrade your skills so you can get involved in:
- playing for church
- accompanying community choirs
- rehearsing with a band
- doing regular gigs
- working as a studio musician
- playing for your family
There is an area of piano playing that has evolved over the years, in which, you are not required to have the skills of a live performer but have the satisfaction of musical expression with the help of technology. This is in the field of music production.
What is music production ?
Music production is carried out by a digital audio workstation (DAW). It is the use of a device or application software that can record, edit, and produce audio files. There are many of them available for purchase online or free download. Most of them have operating instructions on youtube and they range from beginners to advanced.
Examples are : Ableton Live, Reaper, Reason, Logic Pro, Pro tools, Garageband, Cubase.
If you have purchased Mac computer or Ipad you might be familiar with a DAW which comes with the purchase.
How do you produce the music?
Of course you would have to follow instructions as mentioned above, but the advantage to the you, the piano player, is that you can:
- play in the melodies using your keyboard, as any instrument, guided by a metronome and the display
- playback to hear your recording
- edit in various ways using the indicators
- enter the notes very slowly and after completion, increase the tempo
- mix and master your own music
- produce audio files that make you sound like a pro
The beauty of all this is that you can produce the best sounding music with minimum piano skills.
So if now you still have a deep love of playing music, how about downloading a free DAW, and trying to produce some of your kind of music. It can be so entertaining, maybe even a bit addictive, but it can become your HOBBY FOR LIFE.
Are you ready ?
Learn more at https://mypianohobby.com
Please feel free comment and share.